租房买房买生意上iU91
查看: 610|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Chinese prenatal classes cancelled (from Gazette)

[复制链接]   [推荐给好友]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2003-3-9 17:16 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Chinese prenatal classes cancelled
3 i" H1 J( V% `Community upset over CLSC decision/ f1 }: v8 K( H# ~& a7 k
  ; V9 b2 e/ b% J4 R" [
IRWIN BLOCK  , R: q4 V9 V, h" B9 h
The Gazette
& Z" A6 p+ r5 U& ~7 w1 R; W  H8 {4 G- Z$ n& }7 P
1 X3 B6 A  w( z9 F; r- y
Sunday, March 09, 2003
3 N1 v. x6 t# z4 q7 I& l
; W& e, m6 a, f7 AChinese community leaders are upset that a midtown CLSC has decided to drop the only Chinese-language prenatal classes in the Montreal region.+ S/ y1 Z  c8 ?8 F: o1 `# h
3 R* Z4 V( A2 b
The classes have drawn families from Brossard and Laval to the CLSC St. Louis/du Parc on St. Joseph Blvd.6 C3 s3 c/ f. W

% q$ c( q5 H/ U8 nA CLSC official said yesterday that the classes are being cancelled because only a handful of about 100 clients live in the Plateau Mont Royal and Mile End area the clinic serves.
# i; v0 H& c5 A7 h7 \% C0 `. |2 `# M, Y7 O2 E: G. ^
Murielle Pépin, director of professional services, said that when the Chinese classes were first offered in 1992, the CLSC was designated as having a multiethnic focus, but last month its board decided to focus on the needs of clients in its territory.
1 a% o- O* p6 }9 V9 R) S1 w7 ^# d) T2 f" D' U% M; L
"We never got any financing for these prenatal and perinatal courses," Pépin said.6 W, ^$ H" g2 y6 y& ~( v* Z  _. I
6 o9 L% ~7 g; B1 z/ I
The service was originally offered in Cantonese by a nurse at the Montreal Chinese Hospital in 1989. Instruction in Mandarin was added later when there was an influx of Mandarin speakers from Southeast Asia.
/ ?# V+ [" a6 [, k$ `0 t. F/ o% g/ U( N1 S% O0 v9 K2 \
The idea was sparked by a study by Dr. Alice Chan-Yip in the late 1980s which detected low breast-feeding rates, calcium deficiencies in expectant mothers and iron-deficiency anemia in infants attributable to traditional dietary habits, such as lack of dairy products.& s" }$ H1 J1 @4 G2 K; Q: M
" P! `  v% T/ B5 b, r
"It was all related to faulty feeding," Chan-Yip said.
+ W) A4 p- P4 n, X. H) o4 G) ]( f( D  Y
In 1992 the responsibility and the nurse co-ordinator was transferred to St. Louis/du Parc.
9 }5 M+ c3 I8 r" G. T: x
. h& L/ `' r- [- CRaznin Hébert, a nurse at the CLSC Samuel de Champlain in Brossard, which has a growing Chinese community, said as far as she knows no Chinese prenatal courses are planned, there or elsewhere in the system.% Z' R5 @% a( @/ ~( T; l

9 l5 T& d' w3 W/ D! z' t"We have been left in the lurch," said Anthony Shao, executive director of the Chinese hospital, which would be happy to take over the course.* m0 O  @0 o# c! B4 y$ E
- ^6 V. `2 b* O+ U- T
But that proposal, which Shao intends to make next month to the Montreal Regional Health Board, runs into what he terms "government perceived mission problems."* ?, Q7 A; p7 @# p
: {4 O) K# h3 e, r3 q
He called the CLSC move "penny wise and pound foolish."
8 W) |$ R  d2 @- w& T. u0 R4 q
2 |, s$ G% B% O2 ]* L6 C$ X* J"If you don't take care of them at embryo stage and right after they are born, that affects them for their entire life."4 M. H7 L, J9 z- X
/ [6 T' ]0 a! u
Health board spokesperson Lauréanne Collin said that the board will examine the Chinese hospital proposal next month. iblock@thegazette.canwest.com
- S% R! U7 K6 Q# c8 U" _/ }7 Q' v0 y- ]1 }  c) Z$ K
© Copyright  2003 Montreal Gazette
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 1999 - 2024 by Sinoquebec Media Inc. All Rights Reserved 未经许可不得摘抄  |  GMT-4, 2024-9-28 20:14 , Processed in 0.038620 second(s), 30 queries .