租房买房买生意上iU91
查看: 611|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Chinese prenatal classes cancelled (from Gazette)

[复制链接]   [推荐给好友]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2003-3-9 17:16 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Chinese prenatal classes cancelled: n- G2 X9 m. u; P
Community upset over CLSC decision; p5 l& Z) y3 i
    f4 P# M# _3 X* h: _6 v  @% E  p
IRWIN BLOCK  / N& v, w; I  I; c/ [4 m
The Gazette , y/ h! g) l- z0 W9 a# _- d" k

5 L8 ~  E# I. [
0 A, R' j9 f9 I2 D5 d7 O: DSunday, March 09, 2003
( s: r9 ]4 \% W7 x 2 W) a3 n( k& m1 u- c
Chinese community leaders are upset that a midtown CLSC has decided to drop the only Chinese-language prenatal classes in the Montreal region.
: X8 \9 j" T' [0 e2 W" z+ I! t' a, w6 a% y$ c# i; ?* P* h
The classes have drawn families from Brossard and Laval to the CLSC St. Louis/du Parc on St. Joseph Blvd.
3 R4 z5 C+ P% Y( f# I8 g' V
+ c8 z" W4 m' X$ B- X8 `) QA CLSC official said yesterday that the classes are being cancelled because only a handful of about 100 clients live in the Plateau Mont Royal and Mile End area the clinic serves.5 l" `3 k3 G8 h% M* Z  q
. W+ b8 d. Y' I: n! L0 a
Murielle Pépin, director of professional services, said that when the Chinese classes were first offered in 1992, the CLSC was designated as having a multiethnic focus, but last month its board decided to focus on the needs of clients in its territory.
( e' v. ^! w& h- g' B5 v
, y/ K' ~' e% w3 N1 u* A/ D; o"We never got any financing for these prenatal and perinatal courses," Pépin said.8 y6 P) R/ y0 B; W$ Q; T# y
7 T/ E# G1 I8 K1 {: I( R( W
The service was originally offered in Cantonese by a nurse at the Montreal Chinese Hospital in 1989. Instruction in Mandarin was added later when there was an influx of Mandarin speakers from Southeast Asia.
  R" M: r1 B5 k" V5 w1 f3 K3 L! F& M. H; @9 O! o
The idea was sparked by a study by Dr. Alice Chan-Yip in the late 1980s which detected low breast-feeding rates, calcium deficiencies in expectant mothers and iron-deficiency anemia in infants attributable to traditional dietary habits, such as lack of dairy products.# B! [2 W- i* b9 L' w; x- o
4 F* G, Z+ S+ K6 i3 @
"It was all related to faulty feeding," Chan-Yip said.
1 J  o, L9 Q# g) Q
' u4 B" N; L  [In 1992 the responsibility and the nurse co-ordinator was transferred to St. Louis/du Parc.; R! Z4 i9 l! x* C3 \5 i' Q! f9 E
* {, \! ~# m4 L8 m) Z
Raznin Hébert, a nurse at the CLSC Samuel de Champlain in Brossard, which has a growing Chinese community, said as far as she knows no Chinese prenatal courses are planned, there or elsewhere in the system.- D2 D4 Q% Q4 R, v" t; E4 \" R
9 Y6 g: M/ u6 _# L+ f: U
"We have been left in the lurch," said Anthony Shao, executive director of the Chinese hospital, which would be happy to take over the course.
; z  G( K( Z6 g+ Z5 x, O, J
  h( }3 ?7 t/ s2 Q' U) M! R+ vBut that proposal, which Shao intends to make next month to the Montreal Regional Health Board, runs into what he terms "government perceived mission problems."2 Q6 M8 x7 I5 C1 e
) R8 T4 O+ v! Q- r
He called the CLSC move "penny wise and pound foolish."
7 e$ ]9 n8 O( m" r6 V# o  T; n4 ^& B+ I/ n' m- N4 f5 v$ b+ Q
"If you don't take care of them at embryo stage and right after they are born, that affects them for their entire life."6 V$ v  }" t1 [7 W2 O

: {/ r. V% r7 J( E' ]7 ]Health board spokesperson Lauréanne Collin said that the board will examine the Chinese hospital proposal next month. iblock@thegazette.canwest.com
9 A* ]0 m  A) U& g. X1 E2 n  y- E6 [7 ?, J/ ]8 _1 i2 ^% p
© Copyright  2003 Montreal Gazette
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 1999 - 2024 by Sinoquebec Media Inc. All Rights Reserved 未经许可不得摘抄  |  GMT-4, 2024-9-28 20:19 , Processed in 0.035265 second(s), 30 queries .