查看: 364|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

protest

[复制链接]   [推荐给好友]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2005-12-7 01:10 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you in strongest terms protesting what I saw and experienced during my Celdt test at Concordia on ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comDec 2, 2005</st1:date>.

As an M.A. student graduated from Concordia in 2004, I have always had a strong sense of belonging to my Alma Mater, Concordia, for its cultural diversity, its racial tolerance, and its free and fair academic environment, which seem to incarnate <st1:country-region><ST1:place>Canada</ST1:place></st1:country-region>’s ideal. It is the exact reason that attracts to do another B.A. degree again in the university, though I could do it elsewhere. However, what I witnessed and experienced at the Celdt test classroom makes me seriously question about what the university advocates: multiculturalism only serves mouthpiece in Concordia?

What follows is a brief account what happened on the evening of <st1:date Year="2005" Day="2" Month="12">December 2, 2005</st1:date>.

That evening, as required, I walked to the Room 435 of Hall Building and passed the necessary procedures in order to write my English test. When I handed my documents to one of the women staff named xxx, she examined my ID and appointment letter and said something in low voice which I did not hear. I asked her to repeat it, to my surprise, she answered me back very impatiently and also rudely: “why don’t you listen to me?” I told her that I did not hear. She stared at me and pointed to another staff: “you go there.” When I was about to leave, she mumbled:” if you did not listen to me, you ‘d better to get out of the room.” Upon hearing that, I could not believe what I heard, because in my two year studies at Concordia, I had never seen anything like that. My professors and staff workers were always friendly and ready to help. But this time, I was wrong. However, this is not end of my unhappy experience there.

With the help of a staff, I was able to sit at the designated desk. But what happened before and after the language test hurt me being a Chinese living in <st1:country-region><ST1:place>Canada</ST1:place></st1:country-region>. When a Chinese examinee in front of me was asked to show his passport to a female examiner, he handed in his passport and was found that there was no signature at back page of his passport. The young man was trying to sign his name in Chinese on his passport, but he was stopped by the lady. “You can only sign your name in English.” The young complied. Seeing this, I gathered that it was a Chinese passport; he could sign his name naturally in Chinese, why in English ONLY. Think of that, if you are a Canadian studying in <st1:country-region><ST1:place>China</ST1:place></st1:country-region>, a Chinese teacher or administrator asks him or her to sign their names in Chinese on their Canadian passports, what will they think about it? Who gives the lady the rights to order the young man to do it? After the first part of the test was over, we were asked to put the answer sheet into the test book. But a young Chinese near my desk could not understand what the examiner said in English ( perhaps his listening ability was too poor), a young man beside me was trying to tell him in Chinese to put his answer sheet into the book, he was abruptly stopped by the examiner:” Only English.

If the above incidents could isolated, what followed next could not be excused, which not only involved the staff’s professional integrity, but also the university’s reputation as an education institution striving to become one of the best in <st1:country-region><ST1:place>Canada</ST1:place></st1:country-region>. After we handed over our test books to the examiners, we were asked to pick up the items left at the front desks of the classroom. When I was picking up my iPod from a desk near my side, the woman staff suddenly shouted at me: “why don’t pick you appointment book first?” I looked at her and answered back “it near my side, I do what is right to do.” In fact, the desk which the appointment books were placed was twenty feet away from me. It was unreasonable to ask me to that first. Why only me then, as other people had picked up their belongings? What’s more, the examiners had not told us which to pick up first. Seemingly trying to take revenge on me, she threatened: “my friend, you will know what will happen to you!.” Hearing that, I pointed out to her: “I’ll write a complaint letter to the university.” She replied: “ I don’t care!” At that point, I said to her: “you must respect other people and their rights.” But, she lost her patience to speak to me any more and shouted repeatedly: “get out of here!” Still, I was trying to argue with her, but she stopped me: “I call the security.” As I did nothing wrong, I told her: “please!” She went out. I also went out. Three minutes later I met a security agent at the escalator and subsequently told the security guard about what had happened.

Perhaps what I have described seems to be trivial for some one, but through the incidents, serious tendency of racism and abuse of power emerges. I would like ask: who gives some staffs’ rights to openly insult the people of other countries whose culture is different than theirs. Who gives xxx’s rights to scold, threaten the client, who deserves better than that and who, despite of what happened, still cherishes the good memories of his Alma Mater. I don’t believe, Concordia is a place where racism and hatreds for people from other parts of the world can be harbored and encouraged. They should feel shamed for what they have done; their bad behaviors will tarnish Concordia’s reputation as a university that cares for its students!

Your attention to my letter is appreciated.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 1999 - 2024 by Sinoquebec Media Inc. All Rights Reserved 未经许可不得摘抄  |  GMT-4, 2024-5-12 06:47 , Processed in 0.033537 second(s), 30 queries .