租房买房买生意上iU91
查看: 1434|回复: 5
打印 上一主题 下一主题

do I need to replace water pump?

[复制链接]   [推荐给好友]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2004-4-20 12:20 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
when engine is cool, noises come from the passenger side front  of car. it's hears like caused by timing belt.

canadian tire told me to replace timing belt and water pump too. the reason to replace water pump is the coolant is very dirty.  I read from somewhere that some jap car before 1997 don't need to replace water pump if it replace timing belt at the same time. the reason is they connect together....blahblah.

can someone kindly tell  me whether  I need to replace water pump or I can only replace the coolant alone?
thanks.
2#
发表于 2004-4-21 17:59 | 只看该作者
You should have your water pump replaced too. The reason is that you will save a lot of labor by doing it together with the timing belt, as they are connected together.

If your timing belt needs to be replaced, it means that your water pump does not have much life left either. Let me give you an example (all numbers are just some assumption): You pay now $60 for a water pump, and $20 for a little bit additional work for installation. Or if you don't do it now, it will need to be replaced in one year, at that time you will pay $60 for the water pump, plus $100 for labor (because they will take your timing belt off again).
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

3#
发表于 2004-4-21 21:26 | 只看该作者
How do you know his water pump will last only one year?

Most of water pump can last as long as the engine. If, however,
you change a pump, and it only last 1 or 2 year, you would be
screwed up by the new pump.

I think you should go to dealer and make sure they have life
warranty on pump and labor before author them to do the job,
or at least the warranty is longer enough.

Anyway, what kind of noise? How much mileage on the car?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

4#
 楼主| 发表于 2004-4-21 23:26 | 只看该作者
thanks zuki and Don.

my car is 96 camry 4cl. only 70000 miles. I don't think water pump is broken either.

the noise sounds like caused by timing belt. especially at moring when I start the engine it make noises and viberate. they all ease after a while when engine becomes hot.

I will be going to toyota dealer tommorrow to replace timing belt first and then replace water pump if it has life time warranty as Don mentioned just in case of repeated labor as zuki said. woo.... they might cost me fortune.:eek!:
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

5#
发表于 2004-4-22 11:03 | 只看该作者
pls post the result,i am also interested in this topic,thanks
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

6#
 楼主| 发表于 2004-4-23 11:20 | 只看该作者
changed timing belt but not water pump not becase of warranty things but because it works perfect. I changed coolant and flushed system too. now noises disapear and everything is good. I recomend toyota dealer to do such thing rather than canadian tire. reasons see below,

hourly rate total hours total labor
canadian tire 59.95 2.50 149.88
toyota 74 2.00 148.00

material cost is almost the same, but dealer use toyota brand new timing belt.
and of course I think toyota trained technician should be more familiar with toyota car than canadian tires technician.

If you are always thinking about saving money you might lose money. call dealer for quotation you may get surprise. All in all, I will use dealer service after then.

p.s. My toyota dealer is Gabriel. I don't receive paycheck from Gabriel.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 1999 - 2024 by Sinoquebec Media Inc. All Rights Reserved 未经许可不得摘抄  |  GMT-4, 2024-5-14 18:05 , Processed in 0.044108 second(s), 38 queries .